BUSINESS SUPPORT, ADVICE & GRANTS
The Swindon and Wiltshire SME Growth Project
The SME Growth Project provides 12 hours of intensive business support to ensure that you have the skills and knowledge to successfully grow and develop your business.
From reviewing your business plan and providing you with the skills to market your business to collating robust financial plans; applying for a start-up loan, or accessing tailored business advice, Business Growth Advisors from our four partner agencies will work closely with you to give you the direction, support and skills you need.
The project provides free, independent and impartial business advice and support to SMEs (small and medium sized enterprises) across Swindon and Wiltshire and, where eligible, the chance to apply for a grant to help your business grow.
In order to be eligible for support, individuals and businesses must be:
- Based in the Swindon and Wiltshire LEP area or looking to move to the area to conduct their primary business activities
- Operating in ERDF eligible sectors 
- Be able to confirm that they have not received over €200,000 of De minimis state aid support in the last 3 years
- An entrepreneur or start-up who can demonstrate that they are either:
- Not registered with Companies House or with HMRC as sole-trader
- A sole-trader registered with HMRC and operating for less than 12 months (based on date of first sales invoice)
- A Company registered with Companies House and trading, as the registered company, for less than 12 months (based on date of first sales invoice)
- An existing business which can demonstrate it is an SME:
- Employ fewer than 250 staff and;
- Either have a turnover of no more than €50m or a current balance sheet of €43m
- Not be more than 25% owned by a firm who do not comply with the preceding criteria.
 The following sectors are not eligible for ESIF support: banking & insurance, retail, child minding or nurseries, fishery and aquaculture sectors, primary production, processing and marketing of agricultural products/ raw food, the
coal, steel and shipbuilding sectors, the synthetic fibres sector, or education or an area supported by a local authority.
Wiltshire businessman Chris Farnsworth from Raising the Baa explains how the expert business support worked for him:
SME Growth Project Flyer
SME Growth Partners
t: 01865 261480
t: 01275 376233
t: 01225 580850
t: 01225 355553
Swindon and Wiltshire Local Enterprise Partnership
- LEADER funds smaller projects - generally grants up to £50,000 grants
- Rural Growth Programme - funds larger projects, generally £50,000 - €200,000 grants
Take a look at the info-sheet to find more information about the differences, and how to apply.
TEN has compiled a fact sheet summarising a range of organisations and services offering help and advice to businesses in Wiltshire, with key pointers and web addresses. Download the factsheet here.
Skills Support for the Workplace in Swindon & Wiltshire
Fully funded training courses to help your business grow
Skills Support for the Workforce (SSW) is a programme to upskill employees within small and medium-sized businesses in Swindon & Wiltshire. SSW provides recognised accredited qualifications and bespoke training courses to enhance your employees' skills, increase the competitiveness of your business and boost the local economy. The programme can help to develop a bespoke training programme relevant to your needs. Because this programme is co-funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) and the Skills Funding Agency (SFA), you can support your workforce at no extra cost to your business.